Navy Reading is the official website of the Chief of Naval Operations Professional Reading Program (CNO-PRP), and is maintained by CNO-PRP program managers at the U.S. Naval War College.
CNO-PRP encourages a lifelong habit of reading and learning among all Sailors.
Reading, discussing, and understanding the ideas found in the CNO-PRP will not only improve our critical thinking skills, but will also help us become better Sailors, citizens, and most importantly, leaders. This list is not intended to limit professional reading in any way, but merely to provide easy access to a few of the many titles that will benefit our service.
This updated reading list is aligned with the Chief of Naval Operations’ tenets, key considerations from the CNO’s Sailing Directions, and was formally rolled out to the Fleet in October 2012 in NAVADMIN 309/12 in conjunction with the Navy’s 237th birthday.
The books are organized in two categories. The “Essential Reading” list will be distributed in hard copy to commands throughout the Navy during the last quarter of calendar year 2012. Many books in the “Essential Reading” and “Recommended Reading” lists are available as e-books through the Navy General Library Program both online and via Navy Knowledge Online (NKO).
Please keep in mind the following:
While this website is an open forum, it’s also a family friendly one, so please keep your comments clean. In addition to keeping it family friendly, we ask that you follow our posting guidelines here. Reader-submitted comments must follow these guidelines:
- We do not allow graphic, obscene, explicit or racial comments or submissions nor do we allow comments that are abusive, hateful or intended to defame anyone or any organization.
- We do not allow solicitations or advertisements. This includes promotion or endorsement of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. Similarly, we do not allow attempts to defame or defraud any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency.
- We do not allow comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity.
- Apparent spam will be removed and may cause the author(s) to be blocked from the page without notice.
- You participate at your own risk, taking personal responsibility for your comments, your username and any information provided.
- For Official Use Only (FOUO), classified, pre-decisional, proprietary or business-sensitive information should never be discussed here. Don’t post personnel lists, rosters, organization charts or directories. This is a violation of privacy.
Comments are moderated to ensure this family-friendly atmosphere is maintained and generally approved within 72 hours of submission, though often much sooner. Comments are never edited prior to posting.
The appearance of external links on this site does not constitute official endorsement on behalf of the U.S. Navy or Department of Defense.
You are encouraged to quote, republish or share any content on this page on your own blog, Web site or other communication/publication. If you do so, please credit the command or the person who authored the content as a courtesy (photo or article byline can be U.S. Navy or MC2 Joe Smith, for example).
Thank you for your interest in and support of the men and women of the U.S. Navy.
For more information visit the DoD Social Media user agreement.